Friday 7 May 2010

A Magazine Curated By://

Following on from my idea of producing a series of 12 publications based on 12 completely different topics and subject matters, I came across A Magazine , which shared similar ideas and design direction that I initially had in mind. A Magazine, is a biannual publication that invites a curator for each issue to fill it's content, these curators so far include a range of influential creative individuals such as Yohji Yamamoto,  Veronique Branquinho and Proenza Schouler.

I really like this idea of a publication being simply a platform for selected individuals to showcase their "ethos: their people, their passion, their stories, emotions, fascinations, spontaneity and authenticity." The publication has a fixed format/ identity and the way it communicates itself, but ultimately the range of content it carries in different issues make's it a rather diverse publication, which reflects the ideas I have for my series of 12 publications. Rather than, having individuals/ design houses to curate each issue, I'm using a different topic to unite people's opinions and interests together.

Another things I like about A Magazine is their cover designs; each issue is simply titled "A,B,C,D...", with the contents page acting as the front cover, making it feel quite a sincere image. I think in terms of the packaging side, this allows it to be protected with plastic covers in shops, while still being able to communicate to potential readers what the publication covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment